Tax Refunds on Freight Forward Exports from the United States

You can request a tax refund for purchases fulfilled by Amazon and delivered to a valid freight forwarding company.

To request a refund, use the following instructions:

  1. Tax refunds can only be requested for shipments fulfilled by Amazon and delivered to a licensed customs broker or forwarding agent. Orders which are hand carried outside of the United States or delivered to a hotel or residential address do not qualify.
  2. Supporting documentation must provide evidence your freight forwarded items shipped to a location outside of the United States.

What documentation is required?

Amazon requires copies of bill of lading or air way bills for items shipped by freight forwarder. Documents must display the location of delivery as evidence of their final destination. The 17-digit order ID or tracking ID must be listed on the documentation by the freight forwarder to tie the document to your Amazon order.

We do not accept Word documents, Excel files, pictures of shipping labels, or mobile screenshots.

Where do I send my documentation?

Send scanned copies in PDF format along with the following information to

  • Your order number (17 digits in this format: XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX).
  • If submitting a request for a tax refund on multiple orders, documentation will need to be provided for each order and clearly marked which order it pertains to.

Note: For orders placed with a seller that fulfills and ships its own inventory, you will need to contact the seller directly about your tax refund request by clicking on the name of the seller listed below the item you purchased in Your Account.

Was this information helpful?

Thank you for your feedback.

Please select what best describes the information:

Thanks! While we're unable to respond directly to your feedback, we'll use this information to improve our online Help.