Tax Exempt Documentation and Requirements for GSA Purchases

Many individuals or businesses may qualify to make tax exempt purchases.

Federal Government

Tax doesn't generally apply to purchases made by the United States government. In order to document that a sale has been made to an agent of the U.S. government, Amazon requires a copy of one of the following to enroll in Amazon's Tax Exemption Program (ATEP):

  • Federal tax ID certificate
  • Certificate of exempt status or affidavit
  • Government voucher

For additional information on how to enroll in ATEP, please visit Amazon Tax Exemption Program .

Government Services Administration (GSA) Purchases

Federal exemption will automatically apply in most states for items sold by and its affiliates when purchased by a GSA Centrally Billed Account (CBA) credit card. Exemption will not apply to items sold by other marketplace sellers. In order for the exemption to apply, submit a completed GSA statement.

GSA purchases will not automatically be exempted without additional documentation into ATEP for the following states:

  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Illinois
  • Iowa
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • West Virginia
  • Vermont
  • Wisconsin

Tax Exemption for Other Purchasers

All other purchasers using a tax exemption need to provide us with a copy of a state resale certificate, tax exemption certificate, or other acceptable proof of tax exemption for the state or US territory where the items will be shipped.

Note: your exemption may not apply to sales sold by third party sellers.

Was this information helpful?

Thank you for your feedback.

Please select what best describes the information:

Thanks! While we're unable to respond directly to your feedback, we'll use this information to improve our online Help.